Cats are natural scratchers, and they need to scratch to keep their claws healthy and strong. However, this can be a problem for cat owners if their furry friends start scratching at carpet, furniture, or other household items.
This is where scratching posts come in – they provide a designated area for your cat to scratch and keep their claws in good condition.
When looking for the best cat scratching posts, there are a few critical things to consider. One important factor is the material of the post. Some cats prefer certain materials over others, such as sisal rope or cardboard. Additionally, the size and stability of the post should be taken into account, as larger or heavier cats may need a more robust post to scratch on.
After testing a variety of scratching posts, I’ve put together this list of what both myself and my wife consider to be the top options for indoor cat owners. These cat posts not only provide a satisfying scratching experience for cats but also offer durability and stability to withstand even the most enthusiastic scratchers.
With any one of these scratching posts, your cat can scratch to their heart’s content without damaging your furniture or carpets.
Best Cat Scratching Posts
SmartCat Ultimate Scratching Post
If you're looking for a scratching post that will keep your cat entertained and save your furniture, the SmartCat Ultimate Scratching Post is a great option.
- The durable sisal fiber design ensures the post will stand up to your cat's claws.
- The 32-inch height allows your cat to fully stretch and tone their muscles.
- The neutral color and modern design will fit in with any decor.
- Some cats may prefer a different texture than sisal fiber.
We recently purchased the SmartCat Ultimate Scratching Post for our Manx cat and have been impressed with its durability and effectiveness. The sisal fiber material is much more durable than carpet or other fabrics, and our cats seem to prefer it as well. He’s been using it regularly for scratching and stretching, and destructive scratching around the house is now a thing of the past.
Assembly was a bit tricky, but I was able to get it put together in about 10 minutes. Once assembled, the post is very sturdy and doesn’t tip over easily. The 32-inch height is perfect for our cat to fully stretch out and get a good workout in. Plus, the neutral color and modern design fit in well with our decor.
Some cats may prefer a different texture than sisal fiber, so it may take some time for yours to get used to it. Overall, I highly recommend the SmartCat Ultimate Scratching Post for any cat owner looking to protect their furniture and carpets.
Meowoou Cat Scratching Post
The 33 inch tall Meowoou Cat Scratching Post is ideal for anyone looking to purchase a stylish and functional scratching post for their feline friend.
- The wider and thicker base ensures stability for cats of all sizes.
- The simulated plants add a modern and decorative touch to any home.
- The agave plant material is safe and non-toxic for cats to scratch on.
- The leaves on the post are not very realistic.
The Meowoou Cat Scratching Post has a wider and thicker base which provides a sturdy platform for a cat to scratch on and the simulated plant add a fun and decorative touch.
The agave plant material used to construct the scratching post is safe and non-toxic for cats to scratch on, which gives you peace of mind. The hanging ball is a nice touch that adds an extra element of play for cats.
The only downside we noticed is that the base of the post is relatively light, which may cause it to tip over. Additionally, the leaves on the post were not very realistic which didn’t bother me but the wife didn’t like it so it clearly will not be to everyone’s taste.
HOOPET Scratching Post and Cat Tree Tower
I was impressed with this multi-use scratching posts and perch from HOOPET as it was sturdier than the posts we tried due to the much larger base. We only have a Manxie plus we already have a cat tree but if you have a large cat and don't yet have a cat tree, this could be an ideal option.
- The arched bed in the middle is perfect for cats who love to sleep in a cozy cradle-like space.
- The hanging plush ball and soft brush provide hours of entertainment and exercise for cats.
- The scratching post is fully wrapped and allows cats to sharpen their claws from any angle.
- The perch might not be big enough for larger breeds
We were impressed with the quality of the materials used in this cat scratcher and tree tower. The faux fur is soft and durable, while the natural jute posts are perfect for scratching. Assembly was easy and all the necessary tools were included in the package.
Overall, we highly recommend the HOOPET Cat Scratcher and Tree Tower for anyone with a larger cat and worried about stability issues. It is well-made, attractive, and is very stable.
If you're looking for a high-quality scratching post for your feline friend, the AGYM Cat Scratching Post is definitely worth considering.
- The AGYM Cat Scratching Post is made from all-natural sisal rope and wood, making it 100% non-toxic, odorless, and feline-friendly.
- This scratching post is tall and sturdy, providing your cat with the perfect outlet to scratch and shed dead layers from their claws, while also protecting your furniture.
- The larger base size ensures that the scratching post remains stable and doesn't wobble.
- Some customers have reported that their cats didn't take to the scratching post immediately.
- The AGYM Cat Scratching Post may not be suitable for very large or heavy cats.
The scratching post is made from all natural materials that are safe for our cats to use, and it’s tall and sturdy enough to withstand some aggressive scratching.
This scratching post is large enough to accommodate 2 cats. The base is wide enough to prevent tipping, and the sisal rope is durable and doesn’t shred or come apart easily.
The only downside we’ve experienced so far is that our cat was a bit hesitant to use the scratching post at first. However, after a few hours of coaxing and positive reinforcement, he’s now using it regularly.
Overall, we would definitely recommend the AGYM Cat Scratching Post to anyone looking for a high-quality, durable scratching post made from natural materials for their feline friend.
LEMONDA Cat Scratching Post
The LEMONDA Cat Scratching Post is not only a great cat scratching post but also a beautiful decoration that blends into any modern decor and adds ambience to any room.
- The 3 various heights of scratching posts satisfy all ages of cats’ scratching habit and stretching, offering a perfect place for cats to relieve their stress, encourage their natural desire for a good scratch, and save your expensive furniture from little tiger’s clawing.
- The natural sisal allows your cat to sharpen their claws better, and the carpeted, weighted base provides stability and security.
- The hanging ball toys stimulate your cat's prey-like behavior like pouncing and swatting, enhancing their playing time with it and providing extra fun for them.
- The leaves could be fuller, but they still look cute and fresh.
We were impressed with how easy it was to assemble the LEMONDA Cat Scratching Post with just three posts and a base that require minor assembling. The step-by-step instructions make it easier, and my wife had it set up in minutes.
The LEMONDA Cat Scratching Post is a great investment for any cat owner who wants to protect their furniture while providing their cats with a fun and natural environment to relax and play.
PLUROOF Cat Scratching Pad
If you're looking for a scratching pad to deter your cat from clawing your couch or chair and that is made of natural materials, then the PLUROOF Cat Scratching Pad might be a good option for you.
- Made of high-quality bamboo and natural sisal, more wear-resistant than ordinary corrugated cardboard and easier to clean.
- Provides a safe base for your cat to scratch, helping them to exercise their limbs, keep their claws trimmed, and divert their attention away from your furniture.
- Easy to install with all required accessories and instructions included.
- Some cats may not be interested in it.
- Not tall enough for some cats to scratch.
The natural materials are a big plus for us, and we appreciate that it provides a safe base for our cat to scratch and rest. Our cat seems to like it, although he didn’t use it as much as some of the other scratching posts.
One thing we have noticed is that while it’s a good size for our Manx cat, it doesn’t look tall enough for a larger cat to stretch and scratch comfortably.
The installation was pretty easy, although we did have some trouble with the screws needing to be inserted far into the frame before screwing them in.
Overall, I believe this would be a good option for anyone struggling with getting their pet to stop destructive cat scratching behavior at a particular chair arm or similar. Placing this in front of the area I believe would prove a better option for the offending cat.
YULOYI Large Cat Scratching Post
If you're looking for a durable and stable scratching post for your large cat, the YULOYI Cat Scratching Post is probably your best option.
- Specifically designed for large cat breeds
- The natural sisal material is gentle on your cat's paws and helps them develop good scratching habits.
- The scratching post is solid and durable, ensuring that it will last for years even with regular use.
- The large-size base provides stability and reduces the likelihood of tipping over.
- Some users have reported that the hanging ball comes off easily.
The 32-inch high natural sisal post is perfect for large cat breeds such as the Savannah cat, Doll Face cat and other Persian breeds and even a Maine Coon cat. The sisal material is gentle on their paws and helps them develop good scratching habits, which is a plus if they tend to scratch your carpet or furniture.
The cat scratching post is solid and durable, and the large-size base provides stability and reduces the likelihood of tipping over, which is important for larger cat breeds.
Overall, we would recommend the YULOYI Cat Scratching Post for its size, stability, and natural sisal material. It’s a great option for any of the larger cats and can help them develop good scratching habits while protecting your furniture.
When it comes to buying a scratching post for our feline friends, there are a few things we should consider. Here are some features to look for when picking the best product:
Size and Stability
We want to make sure that the scratching post is tall enough for our cat to stretch out fully and sturdy enough to withstand their weight and scratching force. A wobbly post may not only discourage our cat from using it, but it can also be a safety hazard.
Scratching posts can be made from various materials, including sisal, carpet, and cardboard. We want to choose a material that our cat prefers and that will hold up well over time. Sisal is a popular choice as it is durable and provides a satisfying scratching texture for cats.
Scratching posts come in different designs, such as vertical or horizontal, and may include additional features like perches or hiding spots. We want to consider our cat’s preferences and needs when choosing a design. For example, a horizontal scratching pad may be better for a cat who prefers to scratch while lying down.
We want to find a scratching post that fits our budget while still meeting our cat’s needs. While it may be tempting to go for the cheapest option, we want to make sure that we are getting a quality product that will last.
To summarize, when choosing a scratching post for our cats, we want to consider size and stability, material, design, and price. By taking these factors into account, we can find a product that our cat will love and that will last for years to come.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the top-rated cat scratching posts?
We have found that the top-rated cat scratching posts are made of sisal rope or fabric. These materials are durable and offer a great scratching surface for cats. It is also important to consider the height and stability of the scratching post.
How tall should a cat scratching post be?
A good rule of thumb is to choose a scratching post that is at least as tall as your cat when they are fully stretched out. This will encourage them to use the post for scratching instead of your furniture.
What are the benefits of a sisal cat scratching post?
Sisal is a natural fiber that is both durable and rough, making it a great material for cat scratching posts. It provides a satisfying scratching surface for cats and can help keep their claws healthy and strong. Sisal is also eco-friendly and non-toxic.
What are some affordable cat scratching post options?
There are many affordable cat scratching post options available. Cardboard scratching pads, sisal-wrapped posts, and small scratching posts are all budget-friendly options that can still provide your cat with a great scratching surface.
How do I train my cat to use a scratching post?
To train your cat to use a scratching post, first place it in a visible and accessible location for him to investigate. Encourage your cat to use the post by rubbing catnip on it or playing with toys near it. If your cat starts to scratch your carpet or furniture, gently redirect them to the scratching post.
Can a cat scratching post be used for multiple cats?
Yes, a cat scratching post can be used for multiple cats. However, it is important to choose a post that is tall and sturdy enough to accommodate multiple cats at once. It is also a good idea to provide multiple scratching posts in different areas of your home to prevent competition between cats.